National Play Doh Day
Did you know that today is National Play Doh Day? Now that’s a reason to celebrate! Play Doh is one of the most fabulous toys on the market for inspiring creative and artistic play in young children. There are many fun and funny facts about Play Doh. For instance, did you know that Play Doh started life as a wallpaper cleaner? Play Doh’s inventor, Joe McVicker, discovered that small children were using it to make Christmas ornaments, which gave him the idea to market it as a modeling clay. The rest is Play Doh history. What fun!
What I love about play dough is that kids’ imaginations take shape through it. The possibilities are endless.
Kool Aid Play Dough Recipe
Play Doh has sold billions of cans of Play Doh, but did you know that Play Doh is quite easy to make at home? Here is an easy and fun Kool Aid play dough recipe that my daughter and I found at The 36th Avenue.
- 1 Cup Flour
- ¼ Cup Salt
- 1 Kool-Aid Packet (Note: Different flavors will have different colors.)
- ⅔ Cup Water (Boiled)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Mix the flour, salt, and the Kool-Aid together.
- Boil the water.
- Add the oil to the water.
- Add water little by little to the dry mixture and stir the dough until the color is the same throughout and it has the consistency of play dough. Knead the dough. (WARNING: Don’t touch let your kids touch the mixture right after adding water: it will be too hot! Let it cool before they start kneading.)
- Store in a sealed plastic bag to maintain freshness.
Play Doh nostalgia
Did you have the Play Doh Fuzzy Pumper Barber & Beauty Shop growing up? The Play-Doh would be pushed through holes in a doll’s head from the inside, and it could then be styled or trimmed off with plastic scissors. Check out this video: it’s a riot!
Then there is Dr. Drill ‘n Fill, for all those future dentists who get to practice filling cavities in a doll’s huge mouth with Play-Doh!
What are your fond memories of Play Doh? Do you have a favorite play dough recipe? Did you grow up with toys like the Fun Food Poppin Movie Snacks or Spaghetti Factory? Feel free to share in the comments section below!