Dusty Crophopper Cupcakes
A fun and easy way to create a cupcake of the character Dusty Crophopper from Disney Planes.
Author: Lauren Ivy Chiong
Recipe type: Dessert
- For these cupcakes, I recommend making the Half Baked The Cake Blog's Orange Creamcicle cupcakes:
- It's made with divine vanilla orange flavored cream cheese frosting and the cupcakes are orange thanks to an orange Jell-o addition. (You can probably get away with using ½ of the frosting recipe to frost 12 cupcakes.)
- While I can't take credit for the cupcake recipe, I can tell you how I created the Dusty Crophopper cupcake design.
- You'll need:
- 12 cupcakes
- 2.5 cups frosting (estimated)
- Blue, yellow, and red food coloring
- 1 tube Blue Wilton Sparkle Gel
- 1 tube Black Wilton Sparkle Gel
- 1 package Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies
- 10 black Twizzler twists
- 12 orange gumdrops
- 24 mini marshmallows
- 24 toothpicks
- 1 pastry bag and Wilton 230 tip
- This design for this Dusty Crophopper cupcake came about from quite a bit of experimentation, so please feel free to do the same! Baking is hardly an exact science for me. For frosting each cupcake, you'll need gray frosting for the bottom half, and orange for the top half. To create the orange frosting, you'll need to add yellow and red food coloring with about a 5:1 ratio (5 drops of yellow for every one drop of red). For the gray frosting I used 2 drops of blue food coloring for every 1 drop of red and 1 drop of yellow.
- Dusty's wings were the hardest part of this design. For the wings of the plane, attach one Milano cookie on each side as pictured, frost it with the orange frosting, and prop up with toothpicks underneath. I found that the wings set, but you may want to wait to take out the toothpicks until right before serving (don't forget!)
- You can place the marshmallows vertically for the eyes in the orange frosted area right above the dividing line with the gray frosting. Pipe on the blue sparkle gel for the retina, then a dot of black sparkle gel for the pupils.
- Use an orange gum drop for the propeller center and three 1-inch Twizzler sections to create the propeller.
- Use the black sparkle gel to create his smile and the line around his "cockpit window."
- Pipe on Dusty's eyelids with orange frosting in a pastry bag with a Wilton size 230 tip.