Memories are as fleeting as the shine of a firefly on a warm summer night, or a snowflake hitting a child’s nose. Our virtual world is fleeting too: a friend’s status update is here, then gone and forgotten. But somewhere in my parents’ garage, lies a shoe box full of typewritten letters from my best friend from childhood, Joanna. They are covered with doodles in purple pen and scratch ‘n sniff stickers.
Some might see them as relics, but I see them as treasures representing some of my funnest childhood days. I’m happy that I grew up without email, and I’m happy that I grew up saving tidbits of my childhood in scrapbooks.
Scrapbooking with Martha Stewart Crafts
Now scrapbooking is almost an art form. It’s a pleasant trip down memory lane to be able to preserve memories in a beautiful way, the way we want to remember them, on paper. The options in the crafting aisle are endless, but when I received the scrapbooking items from Martha Stewart Crafts, I knew I’d be able to craft in a festive, elegant, and very creative way.
I received the Vintage Doily “Punch Around the Page” set, the Glitter Set, and the acid-free Essentials Paper Pad.
I immediately fell in love with the patterns in the paper pad, which include glitter, luster, foil, kraft, and glossy designs. I knew they would be the ideal backdrop for my scrapbooking fantasies. With these crafting items anyone can create family heirlooms, even works of art suitable for framing.
The Punch Around the Page set is an easy way to create very cool borders for your scrapbooking pages, invitations, and more. It comes with both a corner punch and an edge punch. The punches are designed for standard card sizes listed in the instructions, so I found creating borders directly on photos to be a bit challenging.
My advice would be to use the edge punch to create fancy borders along two opposing sides of a photo or other unconventionally sized item like this label I created for my scrapbooking page.
The glitter set is a real show stopper. This is not your kids’ glitter. It comes in every imaginable rich shade and is luminous when applied. I found it a bit challenging to work with glitter around the glossy photos, which have a slightly sticky surface. I suggest using a matte finish for photos to work with the glitter, and use an unused soft paint brush to dust away gently any unwanted glitter. (Be sure to check out my fun post about hosting a Glitter Girl Party with Martha Stewart rich essential glitter.)
As a blogger I spend most of my professional time on social media. It’s such a pleasure to be able to slow down and flip through scrapbooks with loved ones recalling the good old days, the very best of times.
Here are some other cool scrapbooking items from Martha Stewart Crafts to try out:
Essential Scrapbooking Tools:
• Paper Trimmer – accurately cut your paper or card stock and achieve clean, precise cuts
• Craft Knife – cut intricate shapes with precision and ease
• 12 x 12in Cutting Mat – protects your table and provides a stable, non-slip work surface that will extend the life of your cutting tools
• Ruler – used for much more than measuring, it can evenly align and apply alphabet stickers when composing a title or message, or to keep handwritten inscriptions perfectly straight.
• Scissors – essential for hand-cut shapes and get into tight corners
• Tweezers – a good pair of tweezers is indispensable for grasping and positioning small objects effortlessly
• Bone Folder – a must-have for making cards and other crafts that call for a sharp crease. This product trims, embosses and pierces beautiful designs into your paper crafts
• Glue Stick – a great, all-purpose adhesive for card making, scrapbooking, and all kinds of paper crafting
• Double-Sided Tissue Tape – the adhesive to use when you want a strong bond along a long length of paper
• Ballpoint-Tip Clue Pen – for precision application when working with small materials
• Glittering Glue with Brush Applicator – apply glitter or tiny beads to a large surface
For more information, instructional videos and inspirations, visit Martha Stewart Crafts and save 40% on a single item when you use the code MSC40BL. Offer expires 1/15/13.
Disclosure: Many thanks to Martha Stewart Crafts for giving me the opportunity to review these lovely crafting tools. I received complimentary crafting items for this post. All opinions are mine, and I only review products that I believe are awesome and fabulous, and that my readers will enjoy.