No matter how tech-savvy my daughter becomes, I am constantly aware that she is young and that it is up to me to monitor her safety and well-being with technology in the same consistent, diligent way that I ensure her well-being on a playground. These basic rules are our first line of defense in minimizing (I’m too wise to think that “preventing” is realistic) cyberbullying and using technology in safe, respectful ways:
- Would you say the words you are texting to a person’s face?
- What would your parents think if they read this text?
- Could this message you are sending cause hurt or embarrassment to me, my friends, my family, or anyone else?
- Can your text be taken out of context and used to hurt you or someone else?
- If you received a threatening or rumor-spreading text message, what would you do?
- How does technology make it easier for you to say something unkind to someone?